I have high expectations for McKinney with the new City Council members now seated. However, the improvement steps won’t be nearly complete until there are a few new faces on some of the Boards & Commissions. And a few recommitments. I trust that some changes are about to be made.
This is not a new gripe for me. I have blogged about some members of the McKinney Economic Development Board and the Board of Adjustment in the past. What we don’t need is anybody on McKinney Boards & Commissions that melt into sheep-boards like they have at McKinney ISD. We don’t need people looking after their friends or are self-serving.
My suggestions to consider before appointing/re-appointing the current slate of Boards & Commissions:
- Are you truly independent and willing to serve the entirety of McKinney with considerations for the citizens today and in the future?
- Can you commit to doing your homework before meetings AND faithfully attending meetings?
- Are you wanting to serve on this board solely as a stepping stone to run for City Council in the future?
- Is there anybody in McKinney for whom you fear consequences if they don’t like your comments, recommendations or vote?
- Do you have the ability to say NO when your conscious tells you the deal in front of you is not wise or in the best interest for McKinney?
- Do you understand the Council-Manager form of government?
- Do you understand the Open Meetings & Open Records Laws and are willing to abide AND to call out your colleagues when you know a violation is taking place?
- Do you have a strong personal code of conduct irrespective of any written Code that might include many or all of the items many Codes as in this example?
- Related, is your nature to raise the bar or let others around you to set your standards?
- Do you have the ability to ask good questions that are necessary to evaluate an issue and be equipped to make an informed decision?
A list of the current Boards & Commissions can be found here.
If you are teachable and diligent as a student of government, and are of good character and can give an affirmative response to the questions above, please apply. You are greatly needed, and you can be an integral part of improving McKinney to be the most balanced community that can be found. I’m just a citizen blogger with 44 years of experience in municipal government. But I will do anything within my power to make you successful. LFM